Sunday, October 10, 2010

New obssesion: URBAN DECAY

Lately my friend Carla and I have been talking a lot about makeup and she got me HOOKED on this brand that is new to me: URBAN DECAY. I have heard tons of great things about their products but until now I only owned one of their shadows. Anyways, here is my latest Sephora shopping spree:

URBAN DECAY SMOKE OUT KIT IN YERBA

This little palette is really affordable if you are new to the brand and want to try out some of their shadows without investing too much money. This costed me $15.00 dollars and it comes with 4 mini shadows, a mini mascara, a mini eyeliner, a mirror and instructions on how to achieve a smokey eye.

The packaging is actually really cute. It fans out to show its contents.

This kit has a white shadow, a silverish shadow, a skin tone one and a dark green one also.

It also comes with a little brush to apply your shadows with and a mini eyeliner in ZERO. The eyeliner is really creamy, I am really liking it.

A mascara that I haven't tried yet.

And it has a little drawer that has the instructions of the smokey eye look in it, very cute.

My only problem with this palette is the size of it! I guess I should have expected it to be this small being that I paid so little for it but it was still shocking to see the tiny little shadows. I do like the colors a lot though.

Anyways, here are the swatches, you can only see the bottom ones. Right above the silver looking one there is the skin tone shadow which you obviously can't see and for some reason i like that! Is that weird? I think I might have found the perfect skin toned eyeshadow! Now if only it had a name!
I like the colors a lot in this kit, the green shadow (bottom swatch) is so intense it almost looks black! And they've paired it with a silver shadow, I would have never thought of that kind of combination but I am so excited to try it!
URBAN DECAY BLACK PALETTE

Ok, you all know I am OBSESSED with black eyeshadows! My favorite look is smokey eye with black shadows or anything super dark, so when I heard about this palette I had to have it! It retails for a good $36.00! I thought about it for a few days but I am weak and ended up buying it. This palette comes with 6 shadows that are all supposed to have strong hits of black in it and a super hyper matte black shadow that they names Black dog... so when I heard about this specific black shadow I was really interested but I honestly thought "How different is this one really going to be compared to my smashbox black eyeshadow, or my BH cosmetics one?" I mean, a black shadow can only be so black, right?? WRONG!! I thought my smashbox palette was pretty great (and dont get me wrong, it is!), but next to this one it just doesn't compare.

Here are the colors. I must say that even thought this looks like a splurge of money it was actually a really good deal. I think each Urban Decay shadow retails for 17 dollars each!!
It also comes with an eyeliner in ZERO (black) and a mini Primer Potion (which I have been wanting to try for the longest time!).
Lets get to the swatches:

I really like all of the colors, they are all extremely pigmented (not kidding you!), I mean, look at that black! I only put a tiny bit on the brush and got that much intensity, I was quite impressed!
To top it all off I decided to compare it to the black eyeshadow from my Smokebox palette from Smashbox AND to my ZERO eyeshadow from Urban Decay. Let's see the results:

Top: Smashbox. Middle: Zero. Bottom: black dog.
Need I to say anything??
I will say this though: I was SO dissapointed to see how ZERO wasn't as pigmented as I once thought it was!

Bottom line: I absolutely LOVE this palette!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... amiga, are you sure Zero is the one in the middle? Zero doesn't have any glitter reflects and the swatch in the middle has lots of it.
    -Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carlis!
    I am pretty sure that the middle one is ZERO, I'll do another swatch and look closer so we'll see.
    I think a reason why it looks like that in the photo its because i only applied a TINY bit (I applied the same amount of shadow all of the swatches), I know that if I pack on more it will definitely look darker. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Yerba palette went down to $10 but it was sold out when I tried to buy it. Anyways, I think I have found almost identical colors in my Naked and NYC palettes, so could you please briefly tell me how you put all the colors together on your eyes? I can't read the instructions on my phone screen :( and BTW, I think that skin tone shadow's name is Naked.
    -Carla

    ReplyDelete