Thursday, December 9, 2010

ALL ABOUT BLACK EYELINERS

Hello, my name is Luisana, and I am addicted to eyeliners!

I have so many eyeliners that it's ridiculous so here's my view on some of them. I am not going to write about every single one because that would just take me all day long, but if you have any questions about one in specific, do let me know.
Some of this liners are sample size, you'll understand why I don't have the full sizes when you see the prices of this babies, but most of them are full sizes.

Swatches:

Gel and clay liners are nice, but in order to use them you have to HAVE a brush, and that get a little pricey. Also, if you are not comfortable using a brush on your eyes, this is probably not the way to go, but I think that when you are starting to get into eyeliners, using a flat angled brush with gel liner is the easiest way to learn to apply eyeliner on.

Here is a comparison of my two liners that need a brush to be applied on. On the left Tarte Emphaseyes Clay liner, on the right Mac fluidliner. Mac is one of my liners that I usually go to, I really like how smooth it applies and how long it stays on. Both Mac and tarte liners have Matte finish, so if you are going for more of a "shiny" look, this is not the way to go.
So here is what I think of these two: I tried Tarte's liner for the first time yesterday, it is super, extremely black, blacker than my mac fluidliner BUT it doesn't apply as smooth, I found it to not be as soft when you put it on as my mac one is, maybe that is because this is a "clay" liner? I don't know, I do like it though, once you put it on it's on you until you remove it with eye makeup remover. I haven't put it on my waterline yet, I am a little hesitant to do so but I will try that soon, I don't think it will beat my mac fluidliner, I have yet to find a liner with more staying power on my waterline that Mac Fluidliner.

So here is something interesting: as I was doing my swatches to take photos for this post's purpose, I noticed that Hourglass calligraphy and Revlon's Colorstay Eye pencil are virtually the same exact thing! When you take a look at the swatches at the very top of this page, please keep this in mind: I've had my revlon eye pencil for about 2 years! So when you look at the intensity of that specific eyeliner, compared to the "brand name" one (hourglass), I think the revlon one is dang good! You can find revlon's eye pencil practically anywhere for less than 10 dollars and it's just as good as hourglass'.

When it comes to applying eyeliner you don't need fancy packaging, yeah, the hourglass container is a lot nicer, I think it may even be metal, compared to revlon's plastic one, but if I had a choice (when I run out of all of my eyeliners someday) to buy either one or the other, I would go with revlon's. I hope this helps you make an educated decision if you are considering either of these two eyeliners.
So, what are my top favorite liners? based on all of the liners that I have been able to test so far, these next ones are my "go to" liners time after time.

Lancome Artliner: This is my absolutely, most favorite eyeliner ever, this is what I used on a regular basis, this is not a Matte finish liner, it's extremely pigmented and it comes with a foam (I think) wand which makes application so easy. This eyeliner is a good 29 dollars at sephora or Lancome counters BUT do NOT go buying this eyeliner full price, check the ACW website and wait until they have it back in stock, you'll be able to get it for 13 dollars instead of the 29!
Also, I know that revlon has a dupe for this liner, I haven't tested it because the price is the same for both of them (because I buy mine on acw's site) so I am actually quite happy with mine.
Mac Fluidliner: This is my "go to" eyeliner when I am applying color on my waterlines. This is the stuff you need if you want your smokey eye to look super smokey and your eyeliner to last all day and all night on your waterline. I have NOT found anything that will compare to this baby yet!
Lancome Le Crayon Khol: This eyeliner is super smooth and easy to put on, again, I use this for my waterline if I am in a hurry and can't use my fluidliner instead. This baby smudges easily which is perfect for smoking my lower lashes.
Urban Decay Glide-on: This is actually the eyeliner that I keep in my purse for when I am "on the go". I love how it really "glides on" easily and it's super pigmented.

No comments:

Post a Comment