Friday, June 11, 2010

Beauty Experiment: Revlon Color Stay 12 Hour Eye Shadow

I was reading through my BHG magazine when I saw this ad for the new Revlon 12 hours eyeshadow so I HAD to try it. I got my son in the car and drove to Target, up here where I live everything is more expensive than usual but luckily they were having a sale and I ended up getting this quad for 4.99. I am not one to use "fancy" eyeshadows, I do have a couple of palettes from Estee Lauder and ONE eyeshadow from MAC but I have been able to find good alternatives to the high end eyeshadows that are just as good, I'd rather spend my money on a good foundation or eyeliner. So anyways, I was excited to try this new product...
I bought the quad in Azzure Mist, you know me, always on the look for new ways to do smokey eyes!
First thing I did was swatch the colors... they look pretty pigmented I would say.
The package comes with instruction on the back on how to apply it, I am determined to see if these shadows really work so I followed those instructions to a "t".
Here is the "before" picture.  Foundation and eyebrows are done, and my eyelids are clean and ready to be worked on.  It's been so long since I applied any eyeshadow on my lids without having any primer or shadow base underneath, I was a little nervous, but this quad promises 12 hours of stay without having to use anything under it, so let's see!
Ok, so now here is the thing:  I didn't use the little applicators that came with it, I used my own brushes.  I honestly don't think those applicators would have made a difference anyways.  Based on the swatches I did earlier I was expecting a ton of more color when I applied the shadow on my lid.  You know me and how I like my smokey eye to be dark and believe me, I tried making this look dark, I wasn't able to.  To be able to get enough color to show on my lid (under the crease) I had to apply the shadow 3 times!  Not a good sign so far.  In the crease area I applied blue first and on top of it brown, they looked so pigmented on my fingers, what happened?
Blending the colors and lines was easy, that's a plus!
I finished applying my shadows at 10:30am and this is what it looks like.  Not as dark as I would like it to be but still looks nice I think. 
Keep your fingers crossed!  I will take some photos all throughout the day and post my comments on how it looks...  check later for an update!

UPDATE: 10 hours Later (8:30pm)
Ok, here is the picture I just took, i am not sure if I will be able to post anything else tonight but I will take a picture at 10:30 and will definitely post my comments on it tomorrow morning.
It's been ten hours since I applied my eyeshadow.  I am very impressed by how long this shadow has stayed on my eyelids.  I did notice, though, that the right lid is not as dark as it was this morning, can you tell?  Besides that, everything else looks pretty much the same.  I see no creasing at all, so once again, I am impressed!

UPDATE: 10:00pm
I didn't make it all the way to 10:30, I was too tired so this is just a 11.5 hours after applying makeup on my eyes, not 12. 
I think this eyeshadows have a lot of potential. I did not apply any primer or base on my lids prior to applying my shadows and I am pleasantly surprised to see that it did not crease.  Like I mentioned on my last update, it did fade a little bit in one of my eyes but that's something that can be easily fixed.  I think the colors will look a lot more vibrant if I apply my usual base underneath, so I guess this means this quad is a keeper!
11.5 hours later.  No creasing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment