Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Review Time: High Definition Healthy FX Foundation SPF 15

Price: $38.00
Where to buy: Smashbox Counters, Smashbox.com, Sephora.com, Sephora Stores, etc.
Description: Creates flawless skin from within. This foundation's formula is packed with ingredients that work overtime to provide cellular nutrition for the skin.

My take on it:
I got this foundation on my Memorial Day Haul, my shade is Medium 2.  I was very hestitant about getting this foundation, mostly because of the fact that is not full coverage AND because I didn't find many reviews on it online, you know me, I like to review a product before I buy it, nontheless I still went for it, I decided that maybe the reason for it not having many reviews is because people just don't try it.
This foundation provides "medium, buildable, coverage", at first I didn't really know what that meant but after trying it a few times I think I've got it.  I'll explain later.
Let me tell you the things I like about this product:
First of all, I really like the fact that Smashbox Foundations make you look awesome in photos! Also, the bottle comes with a pump. The color is really close to my own skin tone. It's got SPF 15 and vitamin C which is great for your skin and I didn't breakout from it.
What I don't like about it:
It's price!  38 dollars for 1oz of whatever is a lot of money!  Is not full coverage.  It has a "powdery" look after you apply it, I don't think it's noticeable to other people but I see it. It can be a little hard to apply if you don't have the right tools.
Let's get down to application:
Smashbox suggests to apply one of their own primers prior to using the foundation, and to give it a fair try I did just that.  I will say this, I do like the smashbox primers I've tried, they make your skin feel awesome, seriously, but I still prefer my Mac Prep and Prime SPF 50 over any other primer, I won't go into this too much, this is a different post. Anywho, application was about the same with both primers.
I applied this foundation in a few different ways and using different tools everytime until I found what I liked best.
The first thing I tried was using a wet sponge, I definitely didn't like that.  It made the coverage even less concentrated, the sponge absorbed most of my foundation and it was quite hard to blend.
After that I tried my regular foundation brush, my Mac 187 and my Mac 130 brushes... and after trying different ways of applying it I came down to this: For me, the best tool to use was my Mac 130 brush, I didn't like it as good when I applied it with a clean brush, I noticed better results with a dirty brush (i know, gross, right!).  Also, stippling it on my face made it look it's best, I had less streaking and it was a lot easier to blend. 
Here are some pictures:
This is the real me, I had a horrible migrane the night before and very little sleep.  We'll see what a miracle can makeup do on this face!
After having applied all my makeup... very different isn't it?  Thank goodness for makeup!
So this is just with my foundation, concealer and bronzer on.  I mentioned earlier that this is not a full coverage foundation but that it is easily buildable.  If you apply a thin layer on it will provide medium coverage but if you apply a little extra on the areas that you need it the most you will get heavier coverage without it looking cakey.  You do have to be quick when building coverage though.
Final product and a little nicer photo. 
I do like this foundation a lot.  I know it doesn't meet all of the qualifications I expect from a foundation but I love how it matches my skin tone so close.  This one is a keeper.
I give this foundation a 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. I've been trying to find a good review on this makeup before I bought it.

    ReplyDelete