Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tutorial: Bronze Smokey Eye Look

As requested by my friend Carla, here is the step by step tutorial on my Bronze Smokey Eye look
For this look I used 3 shadows. Two of them I got from my BH cosmetics 120 color palette. The two colors I used are circled in the picture above. One is a bronze looking color and the other one is brown copperish.
The other stuff that I used: All of this are MAC products: Shroom eye shadow, Painterly Paint Pot, Blacktrack gel liner, Lip glass in C-thru and Matte Lipstick in Honeylove.
First thing you need to do is start with clean eyelids.
Using your fingers (or a brush, if you like) apply a neutral shadow base all over your eyelids, all the way up the your eyebrows. The shadow base can be replaced with Eyeshadow primer.
Using a smaller shadow brush, apply the bronze color on the inner third part of your lids.
Apply the brown shadow all over the rest of your lid, all the way to the crease.
With a clean blending brush, smooth all the harsh edges.
With a crease brush, apply a thinner layer of the bronze color all over the brown shadow, this is what will create that smokey look. Blend any harsh edges again if you need to.
Using a larger brush, apply a highlighter color on your brow bone. I am using Shroom by Mac.
Now to the lower lash line. Using any smudge brush, apply a thin line of the brown color underneath your lashes.
Dip the same brush into the bronze shadow and apply it over the brown.
This is what it will look like so far.
Apply eyeliner as close to your lashes as possible.
Line your lower and upper water line. I am using Mac's blacktrack gel liner and a flat brush.
I didn't apply eyeliner under my lower lashes, instead I applied black eyeshadow with a flat brush, try to do it as close to the lashes as possible.
What it looks like so far.
Curl your lashes and apply your favorite mascara on. Mascara makes a world of difference, don't you think!?
As for the cheeks,
I do my blush the same all the time, if you would like to see my blush tutorial, click here
On my lips I like to go with a very neutral color, I love nude colors! I am using Mac's Matte Lipstick in Honeylove.
And lastly, apply a thin layer of lipgloss. I am using Mac Lipglass in C-Thru.
If you ever wondered about the lip color in most of my pictures, these are the products that I use most of the time.
Final look. Extra tip: Since this is a bronze smokey eye look, I applied extra bronzer on. You might want to do that too if you'd like.
If you would like to know about the other products I am using, let me know.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Lui, this is such a simple yet gorgeous look! I'm so going to do it on Monday! I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. Thank you so much for posting all the steps!
    I have to ask because I'm a little confused about the description of the colors... When you say bronze, are you referring to the eyeshadow that's on top? And when you say brown or copper, do you mean the eyeshadow that's on the bottom of your palette? I really got confused there...
    Also, do the color of the eyeshadows in your picture match exactly the color in your actual palette?
    Thanks so much for your time!!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla!
    About the shadows, the one on top is the bronze one and the bottom one is the brown copperish one.
    They do look pretty much exactly like they do on the palette when you apply on your lids. The bronze looking one (top) is actually grainy, I don't even know if that makes sense or not but its the only way I can describe it. What I mean by this is that when you try grabbing some on your brush you won't see a ton of product on the bristles, but more like grains or bronze color sand, so it's a little harder to apply, you have to dab it instead of swipe it on you but the ending result is just as good.
    I hope you take a photo of yourself when you do this look and post it on your fb page!
    Thanks for reading my blog! You make me wanna keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lui!!! Guess what?! I have worn this look twice this week already! I really really like it! However, I can't figure out how to apply my gel liner on my upper water line! Ugh! Help!
    -Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carla,
    When are you going to show me some photos of your makeup?
    Here is a link you can check out to help you figure out how to apply eyeliner on your waterline. If you still have questions after seeing it let me know.
    http://allaboutbeautyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/05/beauty-tip-how-to-get-your-eyeliner-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lui!!!
    Guess, guess what?! I'm wearing this look again today! I'm picking my mom up at the airport but this makeup look gives me the feeling that I should be heading to the beach instead!
    Such pretty look! Thanks for posting the steps. It's become one of my favorites!
    -Carla

    ReplyDelete