Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Foundation application tips and tricks.

After reading my review on the Camera Ready Smashbox Foundation a friend of mine asked me to post some pictures of what your foundation should look like when you apply it, so here they are:
Final look
No settling in your fine lines.
I know I have huge pores, no need to mention it!  But your pores shouldn't look bigger or more noticeable.
The nose area is pretty hard to do, but with a little more work it can look just as good as the rest of your face.
And the forehead area. 
Anyways, here are some tips to help you apply your foundation and make it look natural on your skin:
1.- Work on a clean canvas.  Your makeup will look a lot better if you apply it onto a clean face.
2.-  Moisturize. This step is SO important.  When applying liquid foundation you need to have a smooth surface or all of your dry spots and fine lines will show. Extra tip: Use a good moisturizer, if you have dry skin it can be hard to find a good moisturizer, sometimes it is a good idea to invest some money in a good quality one.
3.- If you have hard to deal with dry spots or extra dry skin, there are products out there to help you add extra moisture or to smooth out the rough patches on your face.  Also, there is plenty of stuff out there to help you -temporarily- fill in those fine lines and pores.
4.- Use a primer underneath your foundation.  This step is specially important if you want your makeup to last for hours, but also a good primer will prepare your skin for the makeup application, invest in a good one!
5.- Customize your foundation to your skin type.  You need to be aware of what kind of skin you have (dry, oily, combination or normal).  If you have dry skin you shouldn't get an oil free foundation, usually when you buy a foundation it will tell you for what kind of skin is made for, so pay attention to that.
6.- Sometimes when your face looks cakey after applying your makeup is not necessarily the foundation's fault.  Learn the best way to apply it, don't give up after the first try, if the brush you used to apply it with doesn't make it look good enough, then try a different one.  There are different ways of applying foundation and different tools to do it with, so keep on trying.
7.- Read the instruction on your foundation!  Most foundations come with suggestions to help you apply it and make it look it's best. 

I hope this tips will help you achieve the perfect, natural look you are looking for. Looking natural and fresh when wearing liquid foundation is NOT easy but is not impossible either.
If you would like me to go a little more deeply into these steps, do let me know!

Peace out!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lui,

    Thank you sooo much for posting these pictures. I was able to zoom in and look at them in more detail so now I have a much better idea of how foundation should look like after I put it on my face!
    I also wanted to let you know that your make up in these pictures is awesome! The color of your eye shadows match wonderfully with your eyes, skin tone and even your shirt. The lip color also matches perfectly! I would love for you to do a step by step tutorial if you have some time.
    BTW, Mike says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla!
    I am glad I was able to help you with your foundation questions! You know I am always happy to!
    Sure, I will to a step by step tutorial on that eye look I am wearing, that's actually a Charlize Theron inspired makeup, I will get to it sometime next week and post it just for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete