Thursday, May 20, 2010

All About Eyebrows

The one thing that I get the most compliments on is not my lovely skin, or how great of a mom I am (LOL!), yeap, you guessed it, it's my eyebrows! People, well, not all people, girls mainly (guys don't look at these type of things, in my experience), think that I have the most perfectly shaped eyebrows ever, and I do => after following my daily routine of plucking them and filling them. Yeah! I know, it sounds like a lot of work, but if you are like me and your natural eyebrows are next to invisible, than all of the work is worth doing it.


Ladies, don't be fooled by this picture, this is NOT what my eyebrows look like in real life, nor my skin, LOL... thank goodness for makeup!!

The first step on having great brows is shaping them. You need to follow their natural shape and try to avoid at all costs overplucking, we all do it at one point or another, but please learn from your mistakes, overplucked eyebrows are not pretty to look at, neither is marking your face with a sharpie!

Like I said, you should follow the natural shape of your brow and start plucking from there. Some people follow certain rules on how to do it (I don't!) but if you are into those rules, use the picture below to give you an idea of what the "perfect" eyebrow supposely looks like:


So, let's get down to business. This is what my natural eyebrow looks like (after having plucked them). I pluck lightly (meaning I get rid of the obvious hairs coming out) everyday, right before doing my makeup, usually while I wait for my moisturizer to absorb, and thoroughly evey couple of weeks, this is when I use my magnifying mirror and pluck everything that needs to come out of my face, that usually includes the mustache area as well (don't act all shocked! I bet you have some facial hair as well!)


These are the things I use to do my brows, feel free to use whatever you have!
Anastasia brow shadows in Ebony
Anastasia brow wiz in Brunette; and
Make Up For Ever Angle Brow Brush # 12

My first step is to line my eyebrows with my brow wiz. I don't line all the way to the thin part, just till the arch begins.

If you make a mistake while lining, don't worry about it, makeup is very forgiving, just use a small concealer brush and fix the problem.

Next, I dip my brush ever so slighly into the dark shadow, usually dipping it once will do one whole eyebrow, the trick is in the blending.

And start blending away! Don't worry about not having put any product on the think part of your brow, you should have enough in your brush to fill your whole eyebrow.

And keep on blending, repeat same steps on the other eyebrow, blend until you see that they look natural enough for your liking. Apply more powder if you feel is necessary.

And voila! There you have perfectly arched and shaded eyebrows!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lui, it's me Carla:
    I love the shape of your eyebrows too! My tweezers don't pluck anything! Is there a specific brand you use? Or can you recommend one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla, thanks for checking my blog!
    I use mostly my "revlon ultimate" tweezers, they were extremely pointy when I bought it a couple of years ago and back then I didn't like them very good, but I have found that as they got dull they worked a lot better. I also have a pair or tweezerman tweezers that I use for the finer hairs that my revlon one doesn't catch, tweezerman is the brand of brands when it comes to tweezers but they are a little pricey (25 + dollars) but they will sharpen them for life for free if they ever get dull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lui, it's me Carla
    Is your Anastasia shadow the same as Anastasia brow powder duo? I'm on sephora.com right now and I hope I'm getting the right item...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla, this is the item I have: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P69300&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5746 in the color 'ebony'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lui! I went ahead and bought it... 22 dollars for eyebrow powder seems pretty expensive, but I'm excited to get it in the mail anyways, yay!! I hope it lasts an eternity!

    ReplyDelete