Friday, May 21, 2010

Review time: Bare Minerals Foundation

I am excited to write my first review on something and amazed to know that there is at least one person out there interested in my opinion on the matter… so Emily! This one is for you!

I think we have all seen those Bare Minerals commercials on TV. Swirl, tap and buff! The idea of wearing a powder/mineral form foundation that doesn’t feel heavy on your face, provides great coverage AND is good for your skin is just too good to pass, wouldn’t you agree? But, gee! 60 dollars for a starter kit is not very affordable, specially if you are used to buying drugstore makeup for a lot cheaper than that.
So, is it worth spending that much money on makeup?? Does it do what it says? I will tell you all about it right now:
I used everything bare minerals for about 3 years, it took me a long while to decide to finally buy it. I went to the bareminerals website and ordered me a starter kit in “tan”. After a few days of using it I learned exactly how to do it and I was quite happy with the results. I must point out though, that back then I had different needs than I do now. When you have kids (this may not happen to everyone, but it sure does to me!) your skin changes. I get pregnancy acne and the color of my forehead gets darker than the rest of my face. I have way better skin when I am not pregnant. Anyways, when I started using BM (bare minerals) I didn’t need a “full coverage” foundation, I didn’t have acne scars to hide or blemishes to cover, so this foundation worked great. It did feel great on my skin, like I was wearing nothing on and application was fairly easy and most important of all, it did not break me out!

(This is me wearing BM, looks nice but notice the lighter area above my brows? I tried very hard to make my whole face look even but I guess I just didn't know how to)

So, should you invest the money and buy it? Before deciding this I think you should ask yourself a few questions:

What kind of coverage do I want my foundation to provide?
Do I have blemishes and acne scars that need a little heavier concealing?
Am I willing to pay 25 + dollars for a foundation refill every so often?

While you are answering these questions, let me give you some facts about these products:

Pros:
This brand of makeup really does make products that are good for you.
Even though the little jars containing the foundation look small, they will last you a long, long time.
The quality of the brushes are fairly good.
You will feel like you are wearing nothing after applying it.

Cons:
The first and most obvious one I would have to say is the price.
Buying your foundation online is not the most convenient thing to do, it is way hard to find a perfect match in the color that you need if you are buying through the website, it can be kind of hard to find a place that sells it near you (Nordstrom and Macy’s do, they’ll match you with a perfect color and you can return it if you are not happy with it, you can’t do this online).
If you are looking for a full coverage foundation, this is NOT for you. I don’t care what they say on the commercials, I would say this is a sheer to medium “buildable” foundation.
If you have spots on your face that need a little heavier coverage they will be harder to conceal with these products.
And you know how the informercials show that you only need a very small amount to cover the whole face?? Well, I don’t know how they do it, but that NEVER worked for me. I always put on a lot more than that. I guess you can do it the way they show you but don’t expect to achieve the “perfect” results they say you will.
Oh, and I almost forgot, I guess if you apply just the small amount that they say you should (which doesn’t work!) you won’t have this problem, but if you apply more, like I did, you WILL see your foundation sticking to things that touch your face, like the phone, and according to Leslie Blodgett (BM Ceo) this will NOT happen to you if you use her products.

So I hope this will help you all decide whether you should or should not purchase these products. As for me and why I don’t use bare minerals anymore? Like I said, my skin has needs now that BM is not able to take care of. I found different liquid foundations out there that are full coverage and good for my skin as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment