Friday, May 21, 2010

Review Time: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup with Spf 10.



I bought this foundation a while ago, I am always on the look for the “perfect” foundation (I haven’t found it yet, still looking). I was walking by the makeup counters at Nordstrom in Anchorage and for the first time decided to walk by the Estee Lauder counter. They were having a “gift with purchase” event and if I spent $39.50 in any products from this brand I would get a bunch of free stuff, so I gave it a go. I explained to this French lady that I wanted a Full Coverage Foundation, that I wanted it to last all day, not make me breakout, look natural on my skin and match my skin color perfectly, so, without even thinking about it she told me to buy this Double wear foundation, she swore by it and even dared to tell me that it was the best foundation from ALL of the brands that Nordstrom has, which is a HUGE statement, considering that you can find brands like Mac, Lancome, Chanel and others in there… so I fell for it.
Let me start by telling you this was NOT a cheap product to buy, it costs $33.50 and the bottle has 1.0 oz! The bottle does not come with a pump, so you have to get all messy when applying it, which is another turn off for me, but still, I thought to myself “if this is the perfect foundation, I am willing to pay for it and even get a little messy with it, who cares!”… So I took it home, along with all of my free stuff (haha!) and gave it a try that whole week.
Out of all of the requirements that I was expecting this foundation to do, only two of them were “ok”: Color match was a “ok”, better on my skin than some other foundations I’ve tried; and it’s long lasting ability was definitely there… believe me, once you put this thing on you, it won’t come off until you wash it off with a cleanser hours and hours later! So, what went wrong? Let me tell you all about it:
First of all, it broke me out and that is the biggest NO-NO for me. I can probably take anything else but if a product starts giving me pimples there is just nothing that will make me like it.
Second: When you just put it on it feels fine, but an hour or two later it feels like you have a mask on, literally! The only thing I can compare that feeling to is as if you put paint, a thick layer of paint on your face. That made me really uncomfortable and it felt weird to smile or even talk.
Third: Besides it breaking me out, it also made me itchy in some areas on my face. I would find myself scratching my jaw line a lot all day long, and this will make the foundation peel off of my face and then it looked horrible.
I really, really wanted this foundation to work for me, I was impressed by the staying power it has, I was able to take naps when using it and wake up looking like I just did my makeup. But it didn’t work, I don’t know if I just didn’t know how to apply it, or what, but what I do take with me is that I tried everything I could to try to make it work, I used different brushes when applying it, put a TON of moisturizer on before, used different primers under it, applied finishing powder or use it without it… nothing worked.
When I went back to the Estee Lauder counter to return it I talked to a different lady and she told me that all of this things happened because whatever it is that makes this foundation stay on all day makes it feel like paint on you, and they didn’t tell me this, but I am thinking that’s also what made me break out.
So, do I recommend it? NO, I don’t. I think this foundation with a lot more issues than benefits for you. If you are going to pay that much for something, you better get something you are going to use and be happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment