Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Beauty Tips: Preventing Eyeshadow creasing

Have you ever applied your eyeshadow and a couple of hours later when you checked in the mirror it looks like this ==>


I know I have had this problem happen to me many times in the past, not anymore though, I found the solution for it and it's as simple as using an eye primer!
So, what is an eye primer?? I tried googling that question to come up with a better answer but found nothing, so here is my own definition: An eye primer is a product that you apply onto your lids before applying your eyeshadow. Eye primers usually come in very neutral colors and in a cream-liquidly form. A primer will prevent your eyeshadow from creasing and make your eyeshadow color pop!
How's that for an answer! LOL! There is a huge variety of eye primers in the market right now, they go from reasonable prices to the high end ones that are not easily affordable. But, is it worth spending the money on one of these? YES!! Absolutely YES!! If you are anything like me and love wearing tons of eyeshadow and want it to stay put all day and all night long, than you definitely need one of these babies!
A good way of getting introduced to eye primers is by using Mary Kay Eye Primer. This is one of the least expensive ones out there and it does do a good job.
I won't get into the ones that I have tested, that's a different post, but here are some examples of some really popular high end eye primers that will give you great results, the prices vary from $16.00 to $24.00.

From Left to Right: Urban Decay Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Bare Escentuals Prime time for eyes, Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer, Benefit Stay Don't Stray Eye Primer.

Another alternative for keeping your shadow on all day long is a shadow base. Just as with eye primers, there is a huge variety out there for you to choose from. But what is the difference between an eye primer and an shadow base? Once again, here is my own definition: Both, eye primers and Shadow bases, will keep your shadow from creasing. A shadow base, however, comes in a range of different color to choose from. They can be used by themselves or under your eyeshadow. So for instance, if you would like to wear a blue eyeshadow, then by applying a blue eyeshadow base prior to it, your shadow color will pop a lot more than if you used an eye primer underneath it, and it won't crease either (I really hope that made sense).
I personally use an eyeshadow base underneath my eyeshadow all the time, it doesn't make it the right or wrong way of keeping your eyeshadow from creasing, that is just my personal preference.
Here are a few examples of eye shadow bases that I would recommend you try, some are better than others, or more affordable, or come with more product in the jar, but again, I won't get into that right now:

From left to right: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place ShadowCreme, Mac Paint Pots, Bobbi Brown Cream Shadow, Clinique Shadow base.
If you would like to try a drugstore eye primer, Loreal came out with their De-Crease Shadow base. This eye primer is supposed to keep your shadow on for 8 eight hours.

And finally, I haven't tried this method myself but I have heard that some people like it, is using a concealer underneath your shadow, I honestly don't know how well this works but I will give it a try soon and let you all know.
Ladies, now you know the trick to keeping your eyeshadow intact for hours and hours!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lui,
    I have very very oily lids and have tried concealer, too faced, urban decay and mac. They all work except for concealer. However, the one that has the longest (like 10 hours)staying power from my personal experience is Urban Decay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank you for your comment. I actually haven't tried the UDPP yet, although I will soon but I currently use mac shadow bases and they last me at least 12 hours. One tip for you oily eyelids is to use both a primer and a shadow base underneath your eyeshadow, this will keep it on a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. e.l.f. has a great primer in 4 different colors for only $1! I've used UDPP and I honestly think e.l.f.'s is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lui,

    I am a make up Junkie and i have tried all the primers pretty much...I would recommend URBAN DECAY! your make up lasts FOREVER...

    ReplyDelete