Sunday, May 23, 2010

Review Time: Estee Lauder Moisture Binding Mascara


Price: $21.00
Where to buy: Estee Lauder counters, Esteelauder.com
What it claims to do: Defines, conditions lashes. More Black impact. Defines each lash from end to end with a continuous stroke of color.
Here’s what I think:
I wasn’t planning on writing a review on this mascara for a while longer since I just did one for the Bareminerals Flawless definition Mascara, but the “deal breaker” happened today, so here it is: Up until this morning I absolutely adored this product. I applied it early today when I was getting ready for church and while I was putting it on my lashes I kept thinking “this mascara is awesome, I can’t even clump my lashes even if I wanted to” And I was really trying to, I wanted to see how much it would take for me to mess it up. The truth is that I wasn’t able to. The application was so incredibly smooth, the wand that it comes with is perfect, you get just the right amount of product on your wand, no need to wipe it off and after applying just one coat my lashes looked next to perfect. They were defined, I achieved exactly what this mascara promised I would.
So what happened? Well, for all of you that don’t know this yet, I am 33 weeks pregnant and on the way to church my “hormones” got to me (it was a long morning getting ready, I was pretty grumpy) and I started crying. I was really self conscious about it because I didn’t want my makeup to get ruined, but the little crying I did was enough. Let me tell y’all, this mascara is perfect up until any kind of moisture gets near your eyes. As I was carefully wiping away my tears I noticed TONS of this black liquid all over my fingers. I know this is not a waterproof mascara but I honestly expected it to last a little longer than a few seconds after my tears touched it. I have used drugstore brands that last longer when wet or if they do come off, is not as much as this one did (hope that made sense).  I think this would be a perfect product if it came in a waterproof form as well, but it doesn't and for that I give it a 8 out of 10.
So, this is my bottom line: Do I recommend it? Well, if you are completely sure that you won’t be crying when wearing it or that it won’t rain that day either, then YES. This mascara is perfect if dry. But if you are not sure about being able to keep it dry, or if you have oily eyelids, or you are going to be sweating, than NO. You be the judge of that yourself.
Would I buy this product again? Yes, I would. I will be more careful though on choosing the days when I will wear it. I don’t have oily eyelids and I don’t cry often either so I think this mascara will work fine most of the time.
However, this is not a mascara I would recommend if you are looking for volume or length (i.e. if you are going for a dramatic smokey eye look). This mascara defines your eyelashes, but it doesn’t give them volume or length.

No comments:

Post a Comment